Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse

I'm deeply depressed by Amy Winehouse's death. I hate to see any one with so much potential, gone before they've had a chance to explore their greatness. It happens so often in the industry. Many joke that there is a "27" club of people, whose star burned out at the age of 27. Although, one could counter that with the fact that many of those in that select group (Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Cobain) struggled with addiction and depression, I think that the main part of being really talented is the empathic ability to really FEEL emotion. That's what a vast majority of artists tend to be insane, I think. (Yes, that's a generalization. No, not every artist is crazy.)

But in some weird way, Amy's death will serve her legacy well. She will be remembered for her great music. She was a truly talented woman. I'm sad she couldn't overcome the demon that addiction is. But I'm thankful that her music will stay with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment